During last Friday’s live stream, the Trion team gave the RIFT community a handful of pretty awesome reveals regarding what we’ll be seeing in RIFT 3.0, which will be our next expansion. On the forums, we’ve seen a few hints about the new souls coming in 3.0, but Simon confirmed those souls for us during the stream along with a pretty big hint about the expansion itself.
The title image says it all! We’ll be doing a little watery (and icy) exploration in the Plane of Water. Keep reading for more details.
RIFT 3.0 will bring players to the Plane of Water and will feature multiple new zones, dungeons, and cool, water-centric locations that are both above water and below. The image below (click to enlarge) was designed to inspire the art and development teams and give them a basic idea of what to aim for. Example locations (without names obviously) on the image include: Coral Forest, Glacier, Trench and Ice Caverns, Coral Islands, Icebergs, Lighthouse, and Atlantis-type city.
Here’s a bullet point list of other tidbits about RIFT 3.0 and other features currently in development. As a warning, some of this content is very much still in the “whiteboard” phase, which means all of this is completely subject to change.
- Despite some locations in the Plane of Water being obviously underwater, Trion isn’t planning to make the typical underwater combat/zones that tend to annoy us. They’re looking to redefine what an underwater zone looks and feels like.
- The themes surrounding Plane of Water will focus on water, of course, but also ice, dreams, and a bit of madness.
- Underwater mounts are a possibility, but that’s about it at this point.
- We may see some mini-underwater features added to the game leading up to 3.0 that let the team test the waters (pun intended) and get a feeling for how well the playerbase takes to their ideas.
- Yep, we’ll be getting a healing Rogue soul! And a tanking Mage soul! And a healing Warrior soul (maybe called a Liberator?).
- This one’s new– we’ll also be getting a real support Cleric soul!
- Trion will be adding in fishing rifts.
- The possibility for larger Strongholds that mirror castles and keeps is being talked about.
- Trion’s developing a system to make companion pets useful by implementing a sort of familiar system. Familiars will be able to be leveled and can be assigned certain tasks.
- They’re also working on expanding the item upgrade system to allow players to further customize how items are upgraded and customized.
- One of the Chronicles in development is solo and not entirely combat focused.